The 3-3-3 Lesson 1
Your Choice: Look ahead to Lesson 5 for detailed instructions on how to integrate the Speed Stacks StackMats (mat and timer) into your sport stacking program. Timing is great for tracking progress, training for a competition, personal challenges and self improvement.
- Learn the 3-3-3 pattern and sport stacking rules.
(National PE Standards 1-3)
- Participate in a sport stacking aerobic activity.
(National PE Standards 1-5)
- 1 set of Speed Stacks for every stacker
- 1 banquet-style table to lead instruction
- Watch the 3-3-3 Instructional Video
- Learn how to teach stackers the 3-3-3.
- Understand the mirror technique for easy class follow along.
- Choose a lesson activity or activities:
- Watch the activity video.
- Read the instructions.
- Teach the lesson.
Teach: (10 minutes)
Play the Sport Stacking Sizzle to inspire your stackers.
Teach the 3-Stack
- One set of three cups in front of stackers, put remaining nine behind .
- Use the mirror technique for class to follow along with the instructor.
- Use both hands.
- Lead with dominant hand.
- Hands on sides of cups (not tops).
- Light, soft touch... slide, don’t slam.
Teach the 3-3-3
- Have stackers set a downstacked 3-3-3 in front of them.
- Together, upstack each 3 stack then “freeze”, go back to where you started, then together, downstack each 3.
- Repeat the 3-3-3 several times, calling out cues and keeping stackers together.
- Have stackers practice. Walk around and check for proper stacking technique.
(Using both hands, start on one side and work to the other, go back to the beginning)
Practice: (5-10 minutes)
Use the practice activities below to build confidence and fundamentals among your new stackers. Integrate some simple stacking and flexibility activities to warm up your stackers for the lesson activity. (pages 35-36)
Race the Instructor
- Stackers start with hands resting flat on the ground or table (imaginary touch pads).
- Stackers stack once, you stack two times.
- Stackers raise their hand once the 3-3-3 is completed.
- Focus on form, not speed with this learning activity.
- Acknowledge fumbles and remind stackers to fix their fumbles when they happen.
Fitness Activities: (10-20 minutes)
Lesson activities are meant to offer movement and reinforce sport stacking techniques. Depending on available time, these can be repeated or combined. Use the suggested activities below or choose from the complete activity list on page 18.